Wednesday, April 16, 2008

thing 15

Moving right along here.
Web 2.0-What is it? In order for me to understand this, I am thinking about 2.0 as the name given to the WEB now in our new idea of sharing and searching. This is the place where programmers are writing new, updated software for the public to use to run the hectic life we live. Once customers catch on to these ideas, they will be expecting services to catch up with the ideas that are constantly emerging. I certainly have a long way to go.
I did throughly enjoy reading the perspectives on Web 2.0. They where well written and help me to understand this part of the challenge. I especially enjoyed Anderson's "Away from the icebergs". Sometimes I think I am the icebergs but that is a different story. Three icebergs: Just in case, relliance on user ed, and "come to us". The libraries are already seeing the customers wants us to come to them by way of technology. They also want us to be the teachers, which I am finding that most Librarians are not eqiupped to handle and they want these things to happen NOW. Seems we as a group are trying but are behind the ball at the moment.
The other article I embraced was Nilges :To more powerful ways to cooperate". All this technology is very expensive, so building cooperation within your own system as well as the state and other libraries is the way to go. Nilges being vp of OCLC is the moving factor in this organizations push for Web 2.0. He wants to build new services through useing the entire web that is available now and preparing for what is coming. He seems to be on top of this tech and preparing for the future. This seems like a great goal for ALL libraries to focus on.

No comments: